.

.

Stefani's most-fantastical-reads book montage

Crooked Kingdom
Six of Crows
Yellow Brick War
The Wicked Will Rise
Charm & Strange
Their Fractured Light
These Broken Stars
NOS4A2
NOS4A2
Big Little Lies
I'll Be There
Red Queen


Stefani's favorite books »

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Domino Effect


I knew this day would come sooner or later... I've tried to prepare myself for it and I really honestly thought that I would be able to hold it together but here I am at the keyboard, in tears. I just got an email letting me know that my horse, my best friend from my teenage years, had to be put down yesterday because of colic. He was the only horse I ever owned and I loved him more that I could ever put into words. When I was 16 I somehow managed to convince my parents to drive to Duvall to look at this black QH/TB that I had seen in the paper. I fell in love on our first visit and even though I hadn't ridden in a year I knew that he was the horse for me. I had spent the last few years screwing up my life royally and things were just starting to turn around and I fully believe that buying Domino cemented me onto the "right" path. I went from a total delinquent to a barn brat and spent every waking moment grooming, riding, cleaning, or just hanging out. I spent every dime on that horse and wouldn't have changed a thing... we competed and won, we had our accidents, and we bonded like I never imagined possible. When I went off to college I had to make a decision and I ended up leasing him to a lesson barn instead of selling him. A year or two later I found out that one of the girls who was taking lessons on him was interested in buying him and it sounded like a perfect match. So, on Valentine's day of 2002 (I think that's the year - it's gone by so fast...) I sold him and said my goodbyes. Thankfully I've been able to keep in touch with the girl who bought him and through pictures and updates I've been able to keep him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews