Ten months. Double digits. How did we get here so fast?? It seems to me that every month goes faster and faster and every day you grow more and more. I know I've said it a hundred times, but I wish I could keep you like this forever (even as you are presently assaulting my laptop with your sippy cup). Our neighbors just brought home a brand new baby last week and I was there when they came home from the hospital. He was SO tiny and helpless - it's actually hard for me to remember you being that little and new. I think that is what makes this whole growing up thing the hardest on me - I tried so hard to memorize every moment of you when you were a newborn because I knew it would go too fast but I can't remember the 7 pound weight of you in my arms. Seeing you next to that little baby made me realize just how much you have grown and changed in the last 10 months.
You are quickly going from a baby to a toddler - with ideas and curiosities all your own. You want to explore, you want to be the center of attention, (right now you want a yogurt melt so bad you are beating me with the bag :::pause:: and now you are happy for a moment), your smile melts my heart and makes my day, and being home with you this summer has been the best month of my life to date. I loved being home with you when I was on maternity leave but I was so clouded by hormones and the intense fear of doing something wrong that I didn't get to enjoy it like I wish I could have. Now, I feel more comfortable in my own skin and in my role as a mommy and I love every second that I get to have you to myself. I can't believe that in four weeks, I'll be getting my classroom ready and school will be starting again - which means no more long summer days with my baby girl. It also means we are marching very quickly toward your first birthday...
What you've been up to lately:
- Pulling up ALL the time and cruising around on the furniture.
- You know where you toys are stored and you are more than able to go, dump over the basket, and get what you want out.
- You still do the inchworm crawl (which we love) but when you want something that is out of your reach you'll crawl on all fours.
- You eat just about anything we put in front of you.
- You LOVE water - swimming or bathtime, it doesn't matter to you.
- You poop in the tub EVERY NIGHT. This is a stage your father and I are anxiously waiting for you to outgrow.
- You 'sing' and dance all the time and it cracks us all up.
- You LOVE the dog - she's your pal and she loves you back.
- You drink out of a sippy cup during the day and feed yourself finger foods like a pro.
- You're a daredevil - you love being tossed, spun, crawling OVER your dad and I when we're on the ground, trying to get on the stool... the list goes on.
- You just recently learned what the word 'no' means and you don't like it. As a result you have mastered the pouty lip face and cry to respond to all the 'no's' you get during the day.
- You have a fascination with all things electrical, which freaks me out. Cords, remotes, the laptop, outlets - you name it, you want it.
- You say 'Dad' all the time, you say 'Mom' when you're up to no good, and 'Bob' when you are just chattering... plus a whole language of your own that cracks us up all the time.
- You have grown hair (mostly in a mohawk, but it's cute) which makes me so happy because I was bald until I was two!
- You are just barely getting into your 9-12 month clothes - you can wear most of the tops but the bottoms are still huge on you.
- You still only have your bottom two teeth but your dad and I have been convinced for the last MONTH that you've been teething... I think you're making liars out of us.
- You'll be spending your first night away from home this Saturday - which I'm sure will be harder on me than it will on you... but still.
- You still are no good at napping... sorry daughter, but it's just not your thing :)
- You love entertaining strangers - anyone who looks your way gets smiles, laughs, and a good look at those big, blue eyes. The senior citizens of Yakima (particularly those at Fred Meyers are you biggest fans)
- You dislike being the the car... or carseat. You are NOT one of those baby's that we could put in the car, drive around the block, and put to sleep. If you fall asleep in the car, you are wide awake the second we turn it off. And if you don't want to be in the car, you scream the WHOLE. WAY. THERE. Good times.
- You are crazy on the changing table. You squirm, roll, and scoot, and even try to steal your dirty diapers. Most days you and I both end up with poop all over us at least once because of your shenanigans.
- You are an awesome eater (fingers crossed that it lasts). You'll try almost anything and even if you aren't a fan at first, you usually go along with it. Veggies, fruits, meats, they're all good in your book. My only concern is that you aren't head over heels with mashed potatoes... we'll have to work on that.